Monday, October 11, 2004

Bloggin' 'bout the movie: GAME OVER

Watching the movie. Subtitle: "Gender Race and Violence in Video Games."

"Do violent video games make violent kids?"

"Interact with games psychologically and emotionally as well."

"Seductive."

"Video games can be used as a means of 'reading' a society."

"Hyper-masculine."

Video games reflect the male fantasies of the primarily male creators.

Female characters give contradictory messages: Empowering, yet still sexual objects. Advertisements are even worse.

Racial issues - FEW producers are "people of color."

Does the violent content of video games make us think that violence is an acceptable way to deal with the real world? Is there evidence to support this?

Military and law enforcement training use video games to train soldiers and officers to kill. The video games help promote "scripting" of the act of killing. "You never ever put a quarter in a video game and don't shoot." Has the conditioning effects of military training without the checks, safegards, and discipline. (According to the West Point guy...)

__________________________________

Well, now that it's over, I do see where it is POSSIBLE that video games can influence the beliefs of some people. But, I have been an avid video game junkie since my parents bought a PONG machine back in the mid 1970s. I have played DOOM and MORTAL KOMBAT for years; I even play these games with my two daughters and neither of them are violent. I haven't been in a fight since I was in grade school, and I don't think I played my first fighting game until junior high... (No, I take that back. KARATE CHAMP was one of my favorite games when I was very young. I probably got into my last fight when I was 11 or 12. Either way, video game violence hasn't caused me to become a violent person...)

Addictive??? Here I'm going to have to agree. I've played some games for HOURS at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home